We will always attempt to keep the school open if at all possible when there is severe weather. We understand that you have commitments too.
Parents/Carers need to decide if the journey is safe when severe weather affects transport and/or walking conditions. Please consider carefully and only keep children at home if conditions are unsafe.
When deciding whether to open or close the school, there are several factors we need to consider, including:
- Whether we can clear a safe path to access the school building,
- Whether enough staff can get to school to supervise the children, (it may not be possible to deliver the normal curriculum in some circumstances),
- Whether we have water and heat,
- Whether we can provide a midday meal or get messages to you in time for you to provide packed lunches.
It may be that:
- Only certain classes open,
- We open for just part of the day,
- We close completely,
- We decide to close early and need you to organise collecting your children,
- We are open, but there are special arrangements, e.g. packed lunches are necessary as no school meals are available.
We will make our decision as early as is possible in the morning and will communicate with you in the following ways:
- Through Parentmail – please ensure our records are up-to-date if you have recently changed contact details. This is our quickest and best way of getting messages to you, so please look out for them during severe weather and make these your first port of call for information.
- With an announcement on our website.
- Through a sign on the gate.
- Through a message on the answer phone.
- Listen to KMFM, BBC Kent Radio or Heart FM and/or use their websites.
- Go online to www.kent.gov.uk/winter.
- Sign up for text message alerts on kentclosures.co.uk (Be aware there is a charge, plus a network charge).
Please ensure your child is appropriately clothed for cold/wet/windy weather and that shoes/boots have good grip for icy conditions.